Kids enjoy learning about new cultures and how others around the world live, work and celebrate. Here are some fun ways to learn about Chinese culture and celebrate during Chinese New Year.
1. Fun Paper Crafts
- Make your own Chinese Lanterns from this fun post at Rainy Day Mum.
- Printables & games from the Nick Jr. show Ni Hao Kai-lan.
- Enjoy this fun Paper Snake craft from Little Artists - Encouraging Creativity.
- Make a great Button Snake with our friends at Kids Activities Blog.
- Create this beautiful Dancing Snake Puppet from Domestic Goddesque.
2. Learn About New Year CustomsExplore the customs and activities that go along with Chinese New Year: cleaning the house, traditional gifts such as oranges and sweets, and honoring ancestors.
Learn about the custom of giving Red Envelopes to the children from Red Ted Art.
Try incorporating a few of these customs and traditions into your own celebration at home.
3. Share Some Great BooksBooks and stories are a great way to introduce kids to a new culture, theme or holiday!
4. Play some online gamesKids can learn about tangrams and calligraphy pictograms with PBS's Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat.
5. Enjoy some Chinese cuisine!Order take-out, visit your favorite Chinese restaurant or make some of your own dishes at home!
Here's some fun recipes - try Bang Bang Tofu Lettuce Wraps from In Johnna's Kitchen or this yummy Crockpot Chinese Pork Ribs from mommypalooza!