How To Make Herbal Syrups
- Combine approximately 2 ounces of herbs and 1 quart of water. Begin simmering the mixture over low heat and reduce liquid down to 1 pint.
- Strain herbs from the liquid by running through a fine mesh sieve, cheesecloth or coffee filter. Pour concentrated liquid back into the simmer pot. Note: Be sure to compost the discarded herbs.
- Add 1 cup of honey (or maple syrup, vegetable glycerin, or other sweetener you have on hand) per pint of liquid.
- Warm honey and liquid, on very low heat, just enough to blend together. Note: Cooking honey any longer, or on a high heat, will destroy the healing properties of the honey.
- Bottle, label, and refrigerate syrup.
Gather the Ingredients:
-1/4 cup dried licorice root
-1/8-1/4 cup freshly grated ginger root (to taste)
Syrup will keep in refrigerator for approximately 3 months.
Locally Check Out Earth Fare or Natural Food Market