- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 6 shallots, chopped fine
- 3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sweet marsala
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 cup of cornstarch + 1/4 cup of water (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup of flour
- Pound chicken breasts to even out thickness and lightly salt and pepper and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Evenly pour the shallots and mushrooms into the bottom of the crock pot.
- Evenly space 6 different tablespoons of butter on top of the bed of mushrooms. Lay the chicken breasts evenly across the top.
- Mix together the marsala, broth and lemon juice and evenly pour into the crock pot.
- Cover and cook 5-6 hours on low.
- When done, temporarily remove chicken and cover to keep warm (Microwave works nicely as a temporary shelter)
- Pour the cream into the crock pot and cook on high for 8-10 mins. stirring occasionally to thicken sauce.
- Then place chicken back in the crock pot, cover, and cook for 5 mins, still on high.
If the sauce doesn’t thicken to your preference, you can make a roux with the 1/8 cup of cornstarch + 1/4 cup of warm water. Pre-mix this well, no lumps, and then add to the sauce, stir and cook for a couple more minutes to thicken before adding chicken back in.
You can serve this on rice or buttered fettuccine. We use a pre-made alfredo sauce with our fettuccine for this recipe. Serve each chicken breast on top of your rice/pasta bed and evenly pour the marsala-mushroom sauce on top of each dish.