Saturday, July 6, 2013

It's that time of year... Tomato Pie...

Tomato Pie

When I was growing up every time we went to Edisto Beach, SC 



we would stop and get a tomato pie, as I grew older...

I decided it was time to make my own... ( Sometimes I use green onions instead of regular)

Also Spinach is a nice addition to this!

I love this.. No one in my house will eat it but me...

But It doesn't make me sad !! 



1 9-inch pie shell
4-5 large fresh tomatoes, thickly sliced
1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
12 or so large fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
salt
pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise (I'm loyal to 
Duke's)
1 1/2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, grated



  • De-seed tomatoes by squeezing or pushing out the seeds with your fingers. It doesn't have to be thoroughly de-seeded (that's where the flavor is), but you'll want the majority of the liquid out to avoid a soupy pie. Salt the tomato slices, and let sit in a colander for at least 30 minutes to draw out extra moisture.
  • Bake pie shell for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes.
  • Place a layer of tomatoes and a layer of onions in the pie shell. Dot each layer with the basil leaves, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat until all onions and tomatoes are used (I got two layers).
  • Combine mayonnaise and cheddar in a bowl, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Spread over the top of the pie (hands work best).
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the top of the pie is browned. Cool slightly and serve.

No comments: