Friday, April 13, 2012

Fix it and Forget it Friday: Strawberry Jam In the Crockpot

I found this over at A year of Slow cooking..   Just in time for strawberry season!!

--4 pounds of fresh strawberries

--3 cups of sugar

--1-2 boxes (1.75 oz) of pectin





The Directions.



Wash all of the strawberries, and cut out the stem. Quarter them and throw into your crockpot. I gave all of the strawberry leaves and stems to the guinea pigs and they were so excited they did back flips.
 

Use a potato masher to squish the strawberries and to create some liquid. We didn't have a potato masher so my helper used the hand mixer attachments.



Add the sugar and pectin and smash some more.



Cover and cook on low for a hundred million years.



Or 10-12 hours; same thing. I used one box of pectin because that is what I bought. After about 10 hours, if your berries are still not jelling the way that you'd like them to, add another 1/2 box to a full box. You can test the "jell" by putting a small amount in the freezer for about 5 minutes.


I don't have enough Little House on the Prairie in me to fuss with proper jarring, so I used a well-washed jelly jar and made tupperwares to give away to family. If you would like to can, here's a great resource.


Keep your jam in the freezer if you'd like it to top toast and sandwiches, or in the refrigerator for more of a syrup or ice-cream topping.

No comments: