So after Avery's MRI ( he did great, but we won't know the results for a few days), Avery and I head to get us something to eat, neither one of us had ate all day!! We were starved!! So Avery and I had ordered our food, and I hear a boy talking to the hostess seating them, and I noticed how he repeated what he was saying, and how loud he was when he talked. The hostess just seemed totally uncomfortable, and basically ran off. I didn't think much of it then, I guess I am use to that by now, and it didn't click in my head at that moment. Anyways they sit in front of us, and the first thing this boy says ( He is about 8 or 9)
"Mommy I want Dr pepper, chicken nuggets, and macaroni and cheese!"
To which her reply is " OK honey"
And at this point he says.... it all over again, and again, and again. ( If you have never had a meal with Aidan, then you wouldn't know that this is what we go through every meal)Even the way he approached his mom, made me think of Aidan. Which is the very up in your personal space, loud way of making sure you heard it the 14th time. I think how WOW it's Aidan in a few years, and then Avery goes.... Mom he's just like Aidan. Even Avery noticed. So we are enjoying our meal, and I observed how other customers, the staff, treated him, and that's when my heart dropped. I then realized how he probably appears NORMAL to everyone there, except for his strange behaviours. I had to put my hand over my mouth, to keep from giggling, when he told his Mom to make sure his Dr Pepper was in a to go cup 5 times. This boy had ticks, which Aidan does not have at this moment. So I am sure that doesn't help with being stared at. This is why I try to educate everyone I know, don't stare and make rude comments, it's time for people to realize not everyone is normal, even if they appear so. I think the more people know about this disorder, the more they will be able to recognize that odd or strange child you see might just not be NORMAL. I love Aidan and his autism... I am definitely not on the Let's Cure it bandwagon. I don't think you cure something that's not an illness! Autism is not a illness, it is a brain disorder. I am all for improving Aidan's life, skills, etc. But Aidan wouldn't be Aidan without his strange and odd behaviours, and who doesn't appreciate the most honest opinions on the planet.. because High Functioning Autistic children tend to tell you like it is. In the words of Dr. A if an autistic child tells you your breath stinks, you better get a breath mint, if they tell you your shirt is ugly, you better believe your shirt is ugly. And in my words, if they get quiet, you better go see what they are doing!! Which is where I am off to NOW!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment