- 2 c diced or shredded cooked chicken
- 3/4 c mayonnaise
- 1 c diced celery (optional)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 c minute rice
- 1 c chicken broth or water
- 1 tsp grated onion (minced onion flakes)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c cornflakes
- 2 T melted butter
- 1/2 c slivered almonds (optional)
- To double: Double everything except use 3 cups of rice and 3 cups of chicken broth. Don't double the mayo -- use 3/4 cup to 1 cup. I also use all the meat from a small rotisserie chicken which winds up being about 4 cups.
Tuesday, July 30, 2013
Old Fashioned Chicken Casserole
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Mix chicken, mayo, celery, soup, rice, broth/water, onion flakes, lemon juice and salt in a large bowl. Pour into a greased 8 x 8 (or 9 x 9) casserole pan, or a 9 x 13 casserole pan if doubling.
Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
Remove the casserole from the oven and cover with cornflakes, melted butter and almonds, if using. Bake an additional 5 minutes.